(Last modified )
This document was written in English (US). To the extent any translated version of this documents conflicts with the English version, the English version has precedence.
INTRODUCTION, ACCEPTANCE, DEFINITIONS, AND MODIFICATIONS
Welcome to the Bookwitty website located at http://bookwitty.com (the “Website”) which includes all subdomains present and future. We hope you enjoy your visit and / or use of the Website, which may include the purchase of certain products as described below.
The Website is owned and operated by the Group Bookwitty (“BOOKWITTY”), which comprises the following entities: (i) Books Without Borders, Inc. a New York State corporation located in 145 Hook Creek Boulevard, Valley Stream, NY 11581, (ii) Bookwitty SARL, a limited liability company registered with the Commercial Registry of Paris and located at 92 Boulevard de Sebastopol, 75003 Paris, (iii) Borderless Books (UK), a company limited by shares incorporated in the United Kingdom and located at Levant UK Ltd, Lakeside Logistics Centre, Lakeside Route, Colnbrook, Berkshire, United Kingdom, and (iv) any other affiliate of Bookwitty, now in existence or to be established, which is owned, in part or in total, by Bookwitty.
Where the present Policy refers to “BOOKWITTY”, it may refer to any of the entities mentioned here-above and / or their respective officers, directors, employees, agents or representatives, depending on the context. Any reference to “we”, “our”, or “us” in this Policy shall also refer to BOOKWITTY or to either one of the entities of Bookwitty, as appropriate.
In this Policy, a Website visitor or user may be referred to as “you” or “your”. When a Website user has created an account and is logged in, they may be referred to as a “Logged-in User”. When a Website user has made a purchase, they may be referred to as a “Customer”. When a Website user is participating in the Bookwitty Affiliate Program, they may be referred to as an “Affiliate”.
BOOKWITTY reserves the right, at any time and without prior notice, to modify or replace any of the Policy. Any changes to the Policy can be found at this URL. It is your responsibility to check the Policy periodically for changes. Your use of the Website following the posting of any changes to the Policy constitutes acceptance of those changes. If we make any substantial changes to the Policy that materially affect the way we treat your Personal Information, we will use commercially reasonable efforts to notify you by sending a notice to the primary email address specified in your account or by posting a prominent notice when you log in to your account for the first time following those changes.
GENERAL STATEMENT OF PRIVACY AND PROTECTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
BOOKWITTY takes your privacy and security of Personal Information very seriously. We have provided a secure environment and this strict Policy that describes (i) what we collect, (ii) the ways the information is used and (iii) the limited access to such information.
This Policy covers the treatment of personally-identifiable information (“Personal Information”) when you voluntarily submit this information (personal information such as your name, address, email, telephone number, card details, etc.. registered with your account) and other information gathered by BOOKWITTY when you are using or accessing the Website. This Policy also covers BOOKWITTY’s treatment of any Personal Information that BOOKWITTY may share with its business partners or other third parties under very limited circumstances.
This Policy does not apply to the general practices and treatment of information (whether personal or not) by third parties that BOOKWITTY does not own or control, including but not limited to any third party websites or services that you elect to access through the Website or via a link from the Website (“Third Party Website”), or to individuals that BOOKWITTY does not manage or employ. While we attempt to facilitate access or link only to those Third Party Websites that share our respect for your privacy, we cannot take responsibility for the content or privacy policies of those Third Party Websites. We encourage you to carefully review the privacy policies of any Third Party Website you access.
Finally, this Policy does not cover any Personal Information you send to BOOKWITTY via any non-secured mode of communications such as email, instant messenger or Twitter, as communications via these methods may be subject to interception, loss, or alteration. While we welcome your comments and suggestions sent to us in this manner, we encourage you to carefully examine what Personal Information you send to BOOKWITTY via these methods.
Our registered users (“USERS”) can utilize a number of BOOKWITTY’s services and features. These include, but are not limited to:
- Creating a user profile
- Purchasing books
- Creating and sharing content
- Engaging with other users on the BOOKWITTY platform, this includes: following, witting, commenting
- Receiving notifications
- Consuming content on the platform and on third party websites (YouTube)
- Signing up to newsletters
At any time, the USER can pick and choose the services they want to utilize, as well as set and change their notification and communication settings.
BOOKWITTY collects certain information from its own site, as well as third-party analytics programs. BOOKWITTY uses this information in order to target registered USERS with ads, and to subsequently measure the performance of these ads. These ads will contain BOOKWITTY sponsored content and services.
These third parties include:
Google Adwords and all types of ads that run under google Adwords including remarketing ads
- Google AdWords remarketing service is provided by Google Inc.
- You can opt-out of Google Analytics for Display Advertising and customize the Google Display Network ads by visiting the Google Ads Settings page: http://www.google.com/settings/ads
- Google also recommends installing the Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on - https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout - for your web browser. Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on provides visitors with the ability to prevent their data from being collected and used by Google Analytics.
- For more information on the privacy practices of Google, please visit the Google Privacy Terms web page: http://www.google.com/intl/en/policies/privacy/
- Google Analytics is a web analytics service offered by Google that tracks and reports website traffic. Google uses the data collected to track and monitor the use of our Service. This data is shared with other Google services. Google may use the collected data to contextualize and personalize the ads of its own advertising network.
- For more information on the privacy practices of Google, please visit the Google Privacy Terms web page: http://www.google.com/intl/en/policies/privacy/
- Terms web page: http://www.google.com/intl/en/policies/privacy/
- Facebook remarketing service is provided by Facebook Inc.
- You can learn more about interest-based advertising from Facebook by visiting this page: https://www.facebook.com/help/164968693837950
- To opt-out from Facebook's interest-based ads follow these instructions from Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/help/568137493302217
- Facebook adheres to the Self-Regulatory Principles for Online Behavioral Advertising established by the Digital Advertising Alliance. You can also opt-out from Facebook and other participating companies through the Digital Advertising Alliance in the USA http://www.aboutads.info/choices/, the Digital Advertising Alliance of Canada in Canada http://youradchoices.ca/ or the European Interactive Digital Advertising Alliance in Europe http://www.youronlinechoices.eu/, or opt-out using your mobile device settings.
- For more information on the privacy practices of Facebook, please visit Facebook's Data Policy: https://www.facebook.com/privacy/explanation
- Twitter ads remarketing service is provided by Twitter Inc.
- You can learn more about interest-based advertising from Twitter by visiting this page: https://business.twitter.com/en/solutions/twitter-ads.html
- For more information on the privacy practices of Twitter Ads please visit Twiter Ads Data Policy: https://business.twitter.com/en/help/ads-policies/introduction-to-twitter-ads/twitter-ads-policies.html
DATA WE COLLECT
NO COLLECTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION AS A MATTER OF COURSE
BOOKWITTY does not, as a matter of course, gather any of your Personal Information while you are using the Website, unless you are asked to provide such information, for example by signing up for an account or making a purchase. Personal Information is only gathered with your informed consent. Where you have provided Personal Information, it will only be used for the stated purpose or use, as described in the next section of this Policy.
PERSONAL INFORMATION COLLECTED AND ITS USES
- In order to use certain functions on the Website, you will be required to create an account by entering the following Personal Information: first and last names, email address, and date of birth. In this Policy, this shall be referred to as “Account Information”. Account Information is used to manage your account, to verify your credentials for logging-in to the Website (specifically that you are 13 years of age or older), and to communicate with you information about your account via email.
- In addition to the required Account Information, you may voluntarily submit additional information that may be considered Personal Information, such as links to your social media accounts and biographical information for your biography. Furthermore, any User Content that you choose to post on the Website may contain Personal Information. This Personal Information is used for display purposes only, so that you may better interact with other users of the Website and have a richer user experience. We encourage you to carefully scrutinize what Personal Information you reveal to other Website users in this way.
- As a potential Affiliate, you will be required to submit Personal Information such as your name, email address, mailing address and other information required as part of the application process. We use this information to determine your capacity to be accepted into the Affiliate Program, and to communicate with you about the Affiliate Program.
- As a Customer, you will be required to enter the following information in order to make a purchase of a Product: credit card number, credit card expiry date, security (CVV) number, billing address, and shipping address (when purchasing a physical book) if different from your billing address. In this Policy, this shall be referred to as “Billing Information”. Billing Information is only used to process the credit card transaction for your purchase(s), to fulfill your order, and to facilitate additional purchases in the future. For more details on the treatment of your Billing Information, please see the “Secured Payments” section further below in this Policy.
- When you visit or leave our Services (including our plugins or cookies or similar technology on the sites of others), we receive the URL of both the site you came from and the one you go to next. We also get information about your IP address, proxy server, operating system, web browser and add-ons, device identifier and features, and/or ISP or your mobile carrier. If you use our Services from a mobile device, that device will send us data about your location based on your phone settings. We will ask you to opt-in before we use GPS or other tools to identify your precise location.
BOOKWITTY uses tracking technology (“cookies”) on the Website and by using the Website you agree to their use. Cookies are small text files placed on your hard drive when you visit a web site, in order to track use of the site and to improve the user experience by storing certain data on your computer. The Website uses “session cookies,” which improve your user experience by storing certain information from your current visit on your computer while you are a Logged-In User.
- to recognize you and your device;
- to track if you arrived on our website through one of our affiliates’ links;
- to facilitate your signing-in to the Website;
- to keep track of preferences you specify while you are using the Website;
- to provide general internal and user analytics;
- to conduct research to improve the content of the Website;
- to facilitate payment processing;
- to store Products in your shopping cart if you do not checkout right away;
- to facilitate additional payments for books and eBooks after your initial purchase;
- to assist in identifying possible fraudulent activities.
In addition to the uses described above, we may also use Personal Information you have submitted:
- To facilitate and improve customer service;
- To send you periodic emails of interest. Please see the Mailing List Management section further in this Policy for more information.
The data submitted through the BOOKWITTY PARTNER NETWORK newsletter subscription form, as well as the Contact Us form are stored by a third party host: Hubspot. Hubspot is the CRM used for the BOOKWITTY PARTNER NETWORK. A contact profile is created on Hubspot when an Affiliate signs up through business.bookwitty.com, or when the BOOKWITTY PARTNER NETWORK emails a partner or potential partner, and selects to track that communication through Hubspot. You can find out more about the Hubspot’s Private policy here.
In addition, Bookwitty collects data for marketing purposes from the customer messaging platform Intercom. This data includes: Personal & Contact Information, the last time the User was seen on the website, and the last accessed page by the user.
When it comes to customer support we use a software called Zendesk. Zendesk allows us to manage, store and track customer inquiries. Users can access their Zendesk account by logging-in using their Bookwitty account. This action provides Zendesk with the following information: Full name, user ID, IP address, public avatar and e-mail. Zendesk uses the visitor’s e-mail information in order to generate email notifications in general, including automatic reply that lets the user know that the email has been received.
Zendesk is GDPR compliant as well. You can find out more on Zendesk data protection page here.
HOW YOUR INFORMATION IS SHARED
Your user information can be shared in different ways:
- When you share a new article or a post on the website (e.g. an update, image, video or article) publicly, it can be viewed by everyone. The link to it can be re-shared anywhere ( subject to your settings). Members, visitors and others will be able to find and see your publicly-shared content, including your name (and photo if you have provided one).
- When you take a social action (share, follow, comment, wit) we will associate you with the content, companies or people that you took this action with. We may also use this social action as part of an ad (unless your settings do not allow that).
- When you follow an author, topic page, tag, article and pen name, your activity will be visible to others.
- When you login to Bookwitty through Facebook or Google, we only receive your public information and email address following your consent. In turn, we do not share back with Facebook nor Google any additional information you share with Bookwitty. However, your personal information (i.e. name and email address) might be shared with our third party external services like Intercom and Zendesk. You can respectively find their privacy policies here and here.
- Your profile photo is shared and processed through imgix for image resizing & optimization purposes.
RIGHT TO ACCESS AND CONTROL YOUR DATA
Users can request that any of the below actions be performed by contacting the Bookwitty help/support team through ZenDesk. Any requests can be sent to the following email:
These actions are not performed through the Bookwitty.com platform they are instead implemented manually by our technical team. These actions include:
- Delete your data: you can ask Bookwitty to delete all or some of your personal data (this includes online orders).
Edit or correct your data: You can ask a member of the BOOKWITTY team to edit some of your personal data, especially if some of the data is inaccurate. You can contact the Bookwitty team on the following email:
You can also edit specific personal information themselves on the BOOKWITTY’s website itself. You can edit your personal information on the following page: https://www.bookwitty.com/account/settings.
- Limit or restrict the use of your personal data: You can ask us to stop using all or part of your personal data (this can be name, e-mail, order listing…).
- Access your data: You can ask us for a copy of your personal data.
- Delete your account: You can ask us to delete your account.
DELETE YOUR ACCOUNT
The user can request for their account to be deleted at any time. We will retain de-personalized information after your account has been closed. Copies of some material (example: log records) may remain in our database but are disassociated from personal identifiers. All remaining data, such as content, wits and comments will be permanently deleted.
If you have any questions about the Policy or if you wish to inquire about and / or access any personal information BOOKWITTY holds about you, please contact:
By email: email@example.com
Books without Borders
145 Hook Creek Boulevard, BLDG A6, Valley Stream, NY 11581, USA
Books without Borders (Livres sans Frontieres)
4416, boulevard Saint-Laurent, Bureau 222, Montréal (Québec) H2W 1Z5, Canada
Borderless Books (UK)
LEVANT UK LTD, Unit 1, Lakeside Logistics Centre, Lakeside Road, Colnbrook, Berkshire, SL3 OED, United Kingdom
92 Boulevard de Sebastopol, 75003 Paris, France
SECURITY AND ENCRYPTION OF INFORMATION
BOOKWITTY uses only industry best practices (physical, electronic and procedural) in keeping any data collected (including Personal Information) secure. In addition, BOOKWITTY uses third party vendors and hosting partners to provide the necessary hardware, software, networking, storage, and related technology required to run the Website, and these third parties have been selected for their high standards of security, both electronic and physical. For example, BOOKWITTY uses Heroku and Amazon Web Services, recognized leaders in secure data, for hosting of the Website and storage of Customer Data. Please note that these third parties may not be located in your home jurisdiction – see the “Transfer of Personal Information Outside Your Home Jurisdiction” section further in this Policy for more information.
Where you are a Customer making a purchase, all transaction data, including credit card information, is transferred by encrypted Secure Sockets Layer (“SSL”), the standard for Internet transactions. Please refer to the “Secured Payments” section further in this Policy for more about how your Billing Information is treated.
NON-DISCLOSURE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION TO THIRD PARTIES
Except as provided in the next paragraphs and the sections in this Policy on Secured Payments and Mailing List Management, BOOKWITTY does not divulge any Personal Information gathered via the Website to third parties. Moreover, BOOKWITTY does not sell, rent, trade or license any Personal Information regarding its users to third parties. Only the employees, agents, subcontractors, officers, directors, or assigns of BOOKWITTY (or of BOOKWITTY’s affiliates) are responsible for the management and development of the Website, and only these individuals have access to the information collected there for work purposes. These employees, agents, subcontractors, officers, directors or assigns all have been instructed to comply with the Policy.
BOOKWITTY uses certain “Third Party Services” in order to augment the Website. Personal information is transferred from BOOKWITTY to these Third Party Services, but only to the extent required in order for them to function properly, and only upon your express submission of such information. These Third Party Services are limited to Twitter for sharing of your Twitter feed on your profile page as a Logged-in User. Under certain circumstances you may be required to log in to Twitter, and thus your Personal Information required to login to the account is transferred securely from BOOKWITTY to the Third Party Service. When you are an Affiliate, certain Personal Information will be transferred to third parties in order to facilitate the payment of commissions owed to you.
No Personal Information regarding purchases (Billing Information, excluding shipping address) is ever seen by BOOKWITTY. No Billing Information (excluding shipping address) is ever stored on servers controlled by BOOKWITTY. Stripe has our permission to store, on behalf of BOOKWITTY, the data pertaining to the executed transactions by Customers (including credit card information) with the goal of ensuring a secure method of payment and proof of purchase archive, allowing for the protection of Customers, and for follow-up as needed. This transactional data may be used for validation and registration purposes of Customers, and to trace any fraudulent activities if necessary. Shipping addresses are used by BOOKWITTY in order to fulfill your order.
When you are a Logged-in User, you have the option of storing your Billing information to facilitate purchases in the future so it does not have to be re-entered. This information is displayed on your account page, but it is not stored on servers controlled by BOOKWITTY, with the exception of shipping address(es). The information is retrieved by your browser from servers controlled by Stripe.
VERIFICATION, CORRECTION AND DELETION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
You have the right to (i) verify what Personal Information BOOKWITTY holds about you; (ii) ask for your Personal Information to be corrected or updated; and (iii) to withdraw your consent to the use by BOOKWITTY of your Personal Information and have it deleted from our records. If you wish to inquire about and verify and / or correct Personal Information BOOKWITTY holds about you, or if you wish to have all your Personal Information (including Account Information) permanently deleted from our records, please contact us using the contact information further up in this Policy. Please note that deletion of your Personal Information may make it impossible for you to use the Website, or certain portions thereof. Please note that if you request deletion of your Personal Information, BOOKWITTY reserves the right to retain some of your Personal Information for a reasonable time in order to satisfy our legal obligations, or where we reasonably believe that we have a legitimate reason to do so.
TRANSFER OF PERSONAL INFORMATION OUTSIDE YOUR HOME JURISDICTION
Website users may access the Website from any country in the world. BOOKWITTY and its third party vendors, including service providers and hosting partners, are located in the United States, Canada, and Europe. You acknowledge that BOOKWITTY and our third party vendors may be located in jurisdictions or countries where the privacy laws may not be as protective as those in your home country, state, province or other governmental jurisdiction, and consent to the transfer of your Personal Information to such countries. Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, Website users in the European Union acknowledge and agree that their Personal Information may be transferred to the United States.
RISKS ASSOCIATED WITH THE INTERNET
Despite BOOKWITTY's best efforts to ensure that third parties will not access or obtain your Personal Information through your use of the Website, complete confidentiality and security cannot currently be guaranteed on the Internet. Communication via the Internet is subject to interception, loss, or alteration. You acknowledge and agree that BOOKWITTY cannot be held responsible for damages resulting from the transmission of confidential information or Personal Information over the Internet and that such communications are at your own risk.
LINKS TO THIRD PARTY WEBSITES
MAILING LIST MANAGEMENT AND COMPLIANCE WITH ANTI-SPAM LAWS
BOOKWITTY’s practices with regards to their mailing list are designed to be compliant with anti-spam laws, specifically the CAN-SPAM Act of 2003.
COMPLIANCE WITH THE CHILDREN'S ONLINE PRIVACY PROTECTION ACT (COPPA)
Protecting the privacy of the young people is especially important to BOOKWITTY. For that reason, we never collect or maintain information (whether Personal Information or not) at the Website from those we know are under 13, and the Website is not intended to be used by anyone under the age of 13.
LIMITATION OF LIABILITY
BOOKWITTY, its affiliates, or their respective officers, directors, employees, affiliates, agents, partners, principals, licensors, representatives, successors and assigns, will not be held liable for any losses or damages (pecuniary or otherwise) resulting from the misuse of any information collected by any third party, or any misuse of any information collected through the Website not in violation of the Policy.
© Group BOOKWITTY 2018.